How Caffeine Improves Exercise Performance.
Coffee is one of the most popular beverages in the world today. Have you ever wondered why? It is because of the presence of caffeine which acts as a stimulant for the body. Whether it is to start a day or go to the gym, the presence of caffeine in coffee increases neurotransmitters in our body which leads to enhanced performance. Caffeine offers various benefits provided we restrain caution on the amount we consume. Let’s have a look at some of these advantages.
Advantages of Caffeine
- AIDS IN WEIGHT LOSS: Caffeine boosts metabolism rate by 3-11%, which helps faster food digestion. It also suppresses the appetite so people will be less eager to eat. A faster metabolism also results in thermogenesis which burns food to generate heat and energy.
- AWAKENESS AND ALERTNESS: A lot of people begin their day with coffee. This is because the caffeine in it is absorbed into the bloodstream from where it reaches the brain and blocks the inhibitory neurotransmitter adenosine. As a result, the production of other neurotransmitters are elevated and people feel a sudden boost in their energy levels thus feeling truly awakened and fresh.
- BOOSTS MEMORY: A Study from the John Hopkins University revealed that a dose of caffeine after a learning session helped better retain information and boosted memory levels.
- INCREASES ENDURANCE LEVELS: Intake of caffeine increases adrenaline levels in our body which is the fight to flight hormone. This prepares the body for intense physical exertion and increases endurance levels.
- REDUCED RISK OF TYPE 2 DIABETES: People who are affected by type 2 diabetes have elevated sugar levels and reduced insulin secretion. Many studies have shown that people who consume coffee and caffeine have a reduced risk from this health problem. One study assessed the reduced risk at a whopping 67%.
- REDUCED RISK FROM ALZHEIMER’S AND PARKINSON’S DISEASES: Consumption of caffeine has shown to be effective in preventing Alzheimer’s which causes memory loss and confusion. It is also successful in reducing risk of Parkinson’s disease which affects the central nervous system. Caffeine is also very helpful in preventing various other health disorders.
- AIDS LIVER IN DETOXIFICATION: Caffiene is known to increase levels of secretion of glutathione, an antioxidant which enhances the process of detoxification in the liver.
- PROTECTION FROM UV RAYS: When directly applied on skin, caffeine guards skin against skin cancer. It prevents the harmful ultraviolet rays responsible for skin disorders from directly penetrating the skin.
Overall, caffeine has a lot of benefits which when consumed adequately enhances body metabolism rate, burns fat and also reduces risks of various health issues. Excess of caffeine can adversely affect you and cause increased stress. It also subdues the sleep regulators which explains the alertness but too much of it can lead to insomnia and increased anxiety levels.
Can Coffee Improve Your Health – by DoctorOz
What's Your Reaction?
Charlotte is a certified nutritionist and a nurse with great experience in the health and fitness industry. Charlotte takes pride in sharing her knowledge and skills to provide her audience with all the information needed to help them reach their goals. Charlotte believes that life is a balance of healthy food and naughty moments.