For your CrossFit workouts, choose moisture-wicking, comfortable clothing like a supportive sports bra, breathable tank top or T-shirt, and high-rise leggings or shorts. Invest in proper cross-training shoes, use hair accessories, and consider layers for temperature regulation. Gloves or grips can protect your hands during exercises. Prioritize comfort, freedom of movement, and support for an effective and enjoyable workout.
In This CrossFit Outfit Guide
Last Updated –
First Published –
Clothing and Footwear: Choose moisture-wicking, comfortable clothing such as a supportive sports bra, breathable tank top or T-shirt, and high-rise leggings or shorts for your CrossFit workouts. Invest in proper cross-training shoes designed for stability and support in various CrossFit movements.
Accessories and Layers: Use hair accessories like ties or headbands to keep your hair in place and avoid distraction during exercises. Dress in layers that can be easily adjusted for temperature regulation during your workout.
Hand Protection: If prone to calluses or blisters, consider workout gloves or grips to protect your hands during gripping exercises like pull-ups or kettlebell swings.
Women’s CrossFit Outfit Checklist
Choosing the right outfit for your CrossFit workouts is essential for comfort, performance, and safety. Here are some tips for selecting a suitable outfit for your WODs as a woman:
Moisture-wicking fabrics are specially designed materials that have the ability to pull moisture (such as sweat) away from the body and onto the fabric’s surface. Once there, the moisture can more easily evaporate, helping to keep the body dry. This is particularly beneficial during intense workouts when the body tends to produce more sweat.
The advantages of moisture-wicking fabrics:
- Keeps You Dry: By drawing sweat away from your skin, these fabrics contribute to a drier feel during exercise.
- Temperature Regulation: The evaporation of moisture from the fabric’s surface helps regulate body temperature, preventing you from feeling overly hot or uncomfortable.
- Prevents Chafing: Keeping the skin dry reduces the likelihood of chafing and irritation, which can be common during prolonged or intense physical activity.
- Enhances Comfort: The overall effect is an increased level of comfort, allowing you to focus more on your workout without being distracted by damp or clingy clothing.
Common moisture-wicking fabric types include polyester, nylon, and blends of synthetic materials. This feature is often found in activewear, sports bras, tops, and bottoms designed for fitness activities, making them an excellent choice for people engaged in activities like CrossFit where sweating is a natural part of the process.
A supportive and comfortable sports bra is crucial for women participating in high-impact activities like CrossFit. Make sure it provides the right level of support for your activity level.
- Supportive Design: A sports bra is specifically engineered to provide support to the breasts during physical activity. For high-impact exercises like those in CrossFit, where there’s a lot of jumping, running, and varied movements, a sports bra with good support is crucial.
- Reduces Breast Movement: High-impact activities can lead to significant breast movement, which, if not controlled, may cause discomfort and even pain. A sports bra helps minimize this movement, providing a more comfortable and supportive experience.
- Moisture-Wicking Properties: Like other workout attire, sports bras often incorporate moisture-wicking fabrics to keep sweat away from the skin, contributing to a more comfortable exercise session.
- Proper Fit: It’s essential to ensure that your sports bra fits correctly. The right fit ensures optimal support and comfort. Straps should be snug but not too tight, and the band around the ribcage should provide support without being constricting.
- Level of Support: Different sports bras offer varying levels of support, usually categorized as low, medium, or high impact. For CrossFit, which involves dynamic and high-intensity movements, it’s advisable to choose a sports bra with high-impact support.
- Breathability: Look for sports bras with breathable materials, especially if you’ll be engaging in prolonged or intense workouts. This helps in regulating temperature and keeping you comfortable.
- Durability: CrossFit workouts can be demanding on clothing. Choose a sports bra made from durable materials that can withstand the rigors of your workouts and frequent washing.
Investing in a high-quality, supportive, and comfortable sports bra is not just about fitness fashion but is a key component in promoting both physical comfort and long-term breast health during high-impact activities.
Performance Tank Top or T-Shirt
Wear a breathable tank top or T-shirt that allows for a full range of motion. Loose enough for comfort but not too baggy to interfere with movements or equipment.
When choosing a performance tank top or T-shirt for your CrossFit workouts, look for:
- Material and Breathability: Opt for tank tops or T-shirts made from breathable and moisture-wicking fabrics. These materials, such as polyester or blends, help to keep you cool and dry during your workout by allowing sweat to evaporate.
- Full Range of Motion: The design of the tank top or T-shirt should allow for a full range of motion. Look for sleeveless or short-sleeved options that won’t restrict your arms during dynamic movements like overhead presses, pull-ups, or kettlebell swings.
- Fit: Choose a top that strikes a balance between being loose enough for comfort and fitted enough to avoid interference with your movements or equipment. Excessively baggy clothing can get in the way during certain exercises, while overly tight clothing may restrict your range of motion.
- Neckline: Consider the neckline based on your comfort preferences. Some may prefer crewnecks, while others might opt for V-necks. Choose a neckline that allows you to move freely without feeling constricted.
- Durability: CrossFit workouts can be tough on clothing due to the variety of movements involved. Select a tank top or T-shirt made from durable materials that can withstand the demands of your workouts and frequent washing.
- Temperature Regulation: If your workouts involve a mix of high-intensity and lower-intensity exercises, layers can be beneficial. Consider wearing a tank top or T-shirt as a base layer and adding or removing additional layers as needed for temperature regulation.
- Reflective or High-Visibility Features: If you often exercise outdoors, especially in low-light conditions, consider tops with reflective elements or high-visibility colors to enhance safety.
The key is to choose a tank top or T-shirt that aligns with your personal preferences, provides comfort, and supports your range of motion throughout the diverse movements in CrossFit workouts.
High-Rise Leggings or Shorts
Opt for high-rise leggings or shorts that stay in place during dynamic movements. The high-rise style can help with coverage and prevent discomfort during activities like squats or jumps.
When choosing high-rise leggings or shorts for your CrossFit workouts, look for the following:
- Stay in Place During Dynamic Movements: High-rise leggings or shorts are designed to stay in place during dynamic and varied movements, which is common in CrossFit. The higher waistband provides additional support and helps prevent them from slipping down, ensuring that you can focus on your workout without constant adjustments.
- Coverage: The high-rise style offers more coverage around the waist and hips. This can be particularly beneficial during activities like squats, jumps, or burpees, where a lower-rise option might lead to discomfort or exposure.
- Comfortable Waistband: Look for leggings or shorts with a comfortable and wide waistband. The waistband should sit securely on your hips without digging in, providing support and preventing irritation during exercises.
- Material and Flexibility: Choose leggings or shorts made from flexible and stretchable materials that allow for a full range of motion. The fabric should move with your body, providing comfort during various exercises without feeling restrictive.
- Compression: Some high-rise leggings offer compression features, which can help with muscle support and reduce muscle fatigue during intense workouts. Compression garments can also enhance circulation.
- Moisture-Wicking Properties: Similar to tops, opt for leggings or shorts with moisture-wicking properties. This helps in keeping sweat away from your skin, promoting a dry and comfortable workout experience.
- Versatility: Consider the versatility of the leggings or shorts. If you plan to engage in different types of workouts, having a pair that is suitable for various activities ensures that you get the most out of your athletic wear.
- Design and Aesthetics: While functionality is crucial, choose a style and design that you feel confident and comfortable in. Many high-rise leggings come in various colors and patterns, allowing you to express your personal style.
Choosing the right high-rise leggings or shorts contributes to your overall comfort and confidence during CrossFit workouts, allowing you to focus on your performance without being hindered by your clothing.
Proper CrossFit Footwear
Invest in a good pair of cross-training shoes. These shoes are designed to provide stability and support for various types of movements common in CrossFit, such as lifting, running, and jumping.
When selecting proper footwear, particularly cross-training shoes, for CrossFit, look for:
- Versatility: Cross-training shoes are designed to be versatile, accommodating a wide range of activities typical in CrossFit, including weightlifting, running, jumping, and agility drills. This versatility makes them suitable for the diverse demands of CrossFit workouts.
- Stability and Support: CrossFit involves a mix of activities that require different types of support. Look for shoes with features that provide stability during weightlifting movements, as well as enough cushioning and shock absorption for running and jumping. A supportive midsole and secure fit contribute to overall stability.
- Flat Sole: Cross-training shoes typically have a flatter sole compared to running shoes. A flat sole provides a stable base for lifting weights, promoting better balance and power transfer during exercises like squats and deadlifts.
- Durable Construction: CrossFit workouts can be tough on shoes due to the various movements involved. Invest in a pair of shoes with durable construction, including reinforced areas where wear and tear are common.
- Grip and Traction: Consider the grip and traction of the shoes. You want a sole that provides sufficient traction for running and agility work while still allowing for smooth pivots and slides during other movements.
- Breathability: CrossFit workouts can be intense, leading to increased foot perspiration. Choose shoes with breathable materials to help keep your feet cool and comfortable.
- Toe Box Design: Look for shoes with a roomy toe box that allows for natural toe splay. This is important for comfort during movements like jumps and sprints.
- Weight: While not the most critical factor, the weight of the shoe can influence your overall experience. Many cross-training shoes are designed to be lightweight, contributing to agility and ease of movement.
- Ankle Support: CrossFit movements can involve lateral and dynamic motions that may put stress on the ankle. Some people prefer shoes with a lower profile for better ankle mobility, while others may opt for models with additional ankle support.
- Fit: Finally, ensure that the shoes fit well. The right fit prevents discomfort and reduces the risk of blisters or injuries. Consider trying on shoes in the later part of the day when your feet may be slightly swollen, as this is a more accurate representation of their size during a workout.
Investing in a good pair of cross-training shoes is essential for maximizing your performance, preventing injuries, and ensuring comfort during the diverse range of activities in CrossFit.
If you have long hair, consider using hair ties or headbands to keep your hair out of your face and prevent distractions during your workout.
When using hair accessories, such as hair ties or headbands, during your CrossFit workouts, look for:
- Use high-quality, elastic hair ties to secure your hair in a ponytail or bun. Look for hair ties that provide a secure hold without pulling or snagging your hair.
- Experiment with different styles of ponytails or buns to find what feels most comfortable during dynamic movements. A higher ponytail or bun may help keep your hair secure and out of the way.
- Headbands are effective for keeping stray hairs away from your face, especially during activities that involve jumping, running, or bending.
- Choose headbands made from moisture-wicking materials to help manage sweat and prevent them from slipping during your workout.
- Some headbands come with silicone grips or adjustable features to ensure they stay in place even during high-intensity movements.
Comfort and Fit:
- Opt for hair accessories that are comfortable to wear for the duration of your workout. Uncomfortable or tight accessories may distract you from your exercises.
- If you’re using a headband, ensure that it fits securely but not too tightly. It should stay in place without causing discomfort or headaches.
Styles for Different Workouts:
- Depending on the type of workout, you might prefer different hairstyles or combinations of hair accessories. For example, a bun may be preferable for activities like handstand push-ups, while a ponytail may be suitable for running.
- If you have long hair, using hair accessories can protect your hair from getting tangled in equipment, especially during exercises that involve lifting weights or using resistance bands.
- Hair accessories come in various colors and styles, allowing you to express your personal style even during your workout. This can add a fun and motivational element to your fitness routine.
- Choose durable hair accessories that can withstand the rigors of your workouts. Look for those that maintain their elasticity and shape over time.
Using appropriate hair accessories, you can keep your focus on your CrossFit workout without the distraction of hair falling into your face. It’s a simple yet effective way to enhance comfort and concentration during physical activity.
Depending on the temperature, consider dressing in layers that you can easily remove as you warm up. This allows you to regulate your body temperature during the workout.
When choosing dressing layers for your CrossFit workouts, look for:
- Dressing in layers allows you to regulate your body temperature more effectively, especially during workouts where your body temperature may fluctuate.
- Start with a base layer that wicks moisture away from your skin to keep you dry. Over this, add insulating layers for warmth, and if needed, a top layer for protection against wind or light rain.
- The base layer is the first layer of clothing next to your skin. Choose moisture-wicking fabrics to keep sweat away and maintain a dry and comfortable feeling.
- Depending on the temperature, consider short or long sleeves for the base layer. In colder weather, long sleeves can provide added warmth.
- Insulating layers trap heat close to your body to keep you warm. This layer can consist of a fleece jacket, hoodie, or any other insulating garment suitable for the conditions.
- The number of insulating layers you need depends on the temperature and your personal comfort preferences.
- Dressing in layers provides flexibility. You can easily add or remove layers based on how you feel during the workout.
- During the warm-up or more intense parts of the workout, you might shed layers to prevent overheating. Conversely, you can put layers back on during rest periods or cooler segments of the workout.
- Depending on weather conditions, you may need an outer layer for protection against wind, rain, or cold. This layer should be breathable to prevent overheating while still providing the necessary protection.
- Choose layers made from technical fabrics designed for athletic performance. These materials are often lightweight, breathable, and quick-drying.
- Opt for versatile layers that can adapt to various workout conditions. This is especially important for outdoor CrossFit sessions where weather conditions can change.
- Consider clothing with pockets or easy storage options for the layers you remove. This makes it convenient to manage your clothing during the workout.
- In addition to layers, consider accessories like gloves or a hat that can provide additional warmth and protection, especially in colder weather.
Dressing in layers is a practical approach to ensuring comfort and adapting to changing conditions during your CrossFit workouts. It allows you to maintain an optimal body temperature throughout your session, enhancing your overall performance and enjoyment.
Gloves or Grips
If you find that your hands are prone to calluses or blisters, you might want to use workout gloves or grips to protect your hands during exercises that involve gripping, like pull-ups or kettlebell swings.
When choosing gloves or grips to protect your hands during CrossFit workouts, look for:
Preventing Calluses and Blisters:
- CrossFit workouts often involve exercises that require a strong grip, such as pull-ups, kettlebell swings, and barbell movements. Over time, these can lead to the development of calluses or blisters on the hands.
- Workout gloves typically cover the entire palm and have finger openings. They provide a protective layer between your hands and the equipment, reducing friction and preventing the formation of calluses.
- Choose gloves made from breathable and moisture-wicking materials to keep your hands dry and comfortable during your workout.
- Grips are smaller than gloves and focus on protecting specific areas of the hand, such as the palm and fingers. They are often used for exercises where a strong grip is crucial.
- Grips come in various styles, including those that wrap around the bar or those that slip over the fingers. Experiment with different types to find what works best for you.
- In addition to protecting your hands, gloves and grips can enhance your grip on equipment, preventing slipping and improving overall performance.
Sizing and Fit:
- Ensure that the gloves or grips fit properly. If they are too tight, they may restrict movement and become uncomfortable. If they are too loose, they may not provide adequate protection.
- Some workout gloves come with wrist straps that provide additional support to the wrists, which can be beneficial during exercises that place stress on the wrists, such as front squats or push-ups.
- Choose gloves or grips that are versatile enough for different types of workouts. Some people may prefer gloves for specific movements, while grips may be favored for others.
- Keep your gloves or grips clean and well-maintained. Regularly washing workout gloves or grips can help prevent the buildup of bacteria and odors.
- Whether to use gloves or grips is often a matter of personal preference. Some people prefer the tactile feel of the bar without any coverings, while others find that gloves or grips enhance their comfort and performance.
Some athletes choose to toughen their hands over time and forego gloves or grips. This can be a personal choice, but it’s important to listen to your body and address any discomfort or signs of overuse.
Using gloves or grips is a practical strategy for protecting your hands and maintaining hand health during CrossFit workouts. Experiment with different options to find what suits your preferences and provides the right balance of protection and performance.
What Does WOD Mean in CrossFit?
“WOD” stands for “Workout of the Day,” and it is a term commonly used in the context of CrossFit. CrossFit is a high-intensity fitness program that incorporates elements from various sports and exercise modalities, such as weightlifting, cardiovascular training, and gymnastics.
The WOD is the specific workout that participants are expected to complete on a given day. These workouts can vary widely and often include a mix of functional movements performed at high intensity. CrossFit workouts aim to improve overall fitness and include exercises like weightlifting, running, rowing, bodyweight exercises, and more. The goal is to promote general physical preparedness, meaning participants are prepared for a broad range of physical activities and challenges.
WODs are usually structured to be scalable, meaning they can be adjusted to accommodate you with different fitness levels and abilities. Participants may perform the WOD individually or in a group setting, often with a coach guiding and overseeing the session. The constantly varied nature of CrossFit workouts helps prevent plateaus and keeps participants engaged in their fitness routines.
Selecting the right outfit for your CrossFit workouts is crucial for comfort, performance, and safety. Prioritize moisture-wicking fabrics, a supportive sports bra, breathable tops, high-rise leggings or shorts, and proper footwear. Consider layers for temperature control and use accessories to keep hair in check.
Lastly, protect your hands with gloves or grips if needed. Prioritize comfort, freedom of movement, and support to ensure an effective and enjoyable CrossFit workout experience.
Remember that personal preferences and comfort play a significant role in choosing your workout attire. Ultimately, wear clothing that allows you to move freely, provides the necessary support, and helps you stay comfortable throughout your CrossFit WOD.
What's Your Reaction?
Ruby is a professional fitness coach and a motivational person, who worked for some of the U.K's best Gyms, and helped many women to reach their fitness and health goals throughout her career. Ruby is committed to sharing all her knowledge to help you get the fitness results you dream of.